Here are the top news highlights we saw around the area this week:
- Conde Cavaliers Mardi Gras Parade Set for Jan. 26
The Conde Cavaliers started Mardi Gras with a “We Are the Champions” themed parade.
Amber Gorlott, familiar with the society since childhood, is this year’s excited queen.
- Mobile Awaits Amtrak’s Cost Estimate for Gulf Coast Rail Restart
Mobile Mayor Stimpson is waiting for Amtrak’s cost estimate to decide on Gulf Coast rail’s restart.
Finalizing the lease for the train stop is the next step!
- Mobile County Names Top Teachers of the Year
The Mobile County Public School System announced Jessica Burnette, Christy LeGros, and Mischa Armstrong as Teachers of the Year for elementary, middle, and high school, respectively.
These educators will represent the county in Alabama’s Teacher of the Year competition.
- New Airline to be Unveiled at Mobile International Airport
Mobile International Airport will soon welcome a new airline, with details to be announced on January 23.
A representative from the airline will reveal the new service and destination at a special airport event.
- Mobile Appoints Shonnda Smith as New Director in Public Works Department Overhaul
Shonnda Smith takes over as Mobile’s new Public Services Director and interim head of Public Works, following James DeLapp’s departure.
- Mobile Announces Additional Parking Options for Mardi Gras 2024
Mobile adds extra parking for Mardi Gras 2024, with discounts for carpooling.
Visit the city’s Mardi Gras Dashboard for detailed rates and maps!
Disclaimer: These news stories are summaries of various local news and reports from the past week.
If you’d like to check out other news stories, hop over to our news corner.