Here are the top news highlights we saw around the area this week:
- Mobile Civic Center’s New Parking Garage: Groundbreaking on January 9
The City of Mobile initiates construction of a $38.3 million, 1000-space parking garage, a pivotal step in revitalizing the Civic Center property.
- Alabama Port Authority Secures Second Spot in Forbes’ Fastest-Growing U.S. Ports
Forbes ranks the Alabama Port Authority second among the nation’s fastest-growing ports, highlighting a significant trade increase over the last decade.
- Swift Response by Mobile Fire-Rescue Department Quells HVAC Unit Fire at Krispy Kreme on Hillcrest Road
The MFRD promptly addressed an electronic fire alarm, discovering and extinguishing a roof-based HVAC unit fire at Krispy Kreme.
- Coastal Flood Advisory Issued for Mobile and Baldwin Counties Until Tuesday Morning
An updated advisory from the National Weather Service warns of minor coastal flooding with potential hazards and urges precautionary measures.
- Miss Alabama 2023 Prepares for Miss America Competition
In ten days, Brianna Burrell, crowned Miss Alabama this summer, will compete for the Miss America title, making history as the third Black woman in Alabama to achieve this honor.
- Johnny Morris Jr. Assumes Role as Mobile’s New Fire Chief
Johnny Morris Jr. took office as Mobile’s Fire Chief on January 5, 2024, in a ceremony attended by officials, family, and friends.
- Dr. Grant Stone Recognized in Mobile Bay Magazine’s 2024 40 Under 40 Class
Dr. Grant Stone, a pain management specialist at Gulf Orthopaedics, has been honored for his outstanding contributions to the field.
- Cooper Riverside Park to Undergo $6.9 Million Renovation
The Mobile City Council approved funds for a year-long overhaul, addressing safety concerns and laying the foundation for future downtown waterfront projects.
Disclaimer: These news stories are summaries of various local news and reports from the past week.
If you’d like to check out other news stories, hop over to our news corner.