- This event has passed.
AFRICATOWN CEMETERY DOCUMENTATION PROJECT
September 16 @ 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Help launch Africatown’s cemetery documentation project from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 16.
Volunteers are asked to meet at the Robert L. Hope Center, to bring a tablet (if you have one) for documenting, and to dress appropriately for the weather and location. Teams are welcome – for example: from churches, civic groups or youth groups.
This collaborative project will provide community members with the knowledge and skills needed to digitally document and preserve the Africatown/Plateau cemetery for generations to come.
Led by Dr. Alexandra Jones, this is collaborative effort by
- Africatown Heritage Preservation Foundation
- Jones Archaeology Consulting
- Archaeology in the Community
- the national Slave Wrecks Project
- the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History & Culture
For more information, contact Andersen Flen 404-219-7890.